A Walk In The Woods: and other short stories by Esther Chilton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I enjoyed every story of this little collection.
Each story is compact in its writing and, I felt, exactly the right length to convey its own message.
There is always a twist in the tale or a clever punchline. The endings are mostly surprises. That’s good!
Some of the stories are dark. Some are humourous.
I particularly liked the slight, but understandable kinkiness of ‘Book Lovers.’ The ending made me chuckle.
‘Operation Flora’ is a Christmas tale with a difference. There is a tiny niggle of regret but the battered fairy comes out on top.
The signature story, ‘A Walk in the Woods,’ is good, but I preferred ‘A Walk in the Park,’ which was blatantly heading for a predictable reunion, but then there was a beautiful twist at the end.
The most hilarious story, again with a nice twist, is ‘The Secret Diary of Marvin Martin aged 14½’.
Its doesn’t take long to read this book and I guarantee that you will be delighted.
View all my reviews
- Follow Write to Inspire on WordPress.com
About meMy working career spans the Royal Navy, a spell as a dairyman in the Highlands of Scotland, many years in military survey in the British Army, and a fourth career in Information Technology. I have recently become a budding author. See more...
- Esther’s Challenge – Laugh-along-a-Limerick 6 December 2021
- Esther’s Challenge – Can You Tell A Story In . . . 2 December 2021
- Esther’s Challenge – Laugh-along-a-Limerick 29 November 2021
- Esther’s Challenge – Can You Tell A Story In . . . 25 November 2021
- Book Review: The Shrouded Path by Sarah Ward 23 November 2021